RollingStoned

The Lion King (2019)

I saw this movie the other night, and all I can say is that I was disappointed. The characters were animated well, the story was told well, and the voice actors (for the most part) were great.

Now for the bad part. To me, the whole film felt like a very low-energy ordeal with none of the charm of the original. My main complaint is the absence of Jeremy Irons as Scar. "Be Prepared" was one of the best Disney villain songs in history, and this movie completely butchered it. I've heard that people made a connection between this song and Hitler's Third Reich with the original version, but personally I never noticed it. I guess Disney was going on the safe side for this song. They brought back James Earl Jones for Mufasa, but they didn't even give Jeremy Irons a phone call to reprise his role as Scar. Scar's character in the remake is disappointing. Not only that, but it's distracting to hear such a different voice come out of the character I've known for 25 years.

James Earl Jones is Mufasa in the remake and the original, but his voice timbre has changed so much in 25 years that it doesn't quite work for his character. He sounds too old to be Simba's father.

Aside from Scar, hardly anything was changed in this movie from the original, and none of it was improved. Everything is basically a shot-for-shot remake of the original, with slight dialogue tweaks here and there. The names of two of the hyenas were changed for no explicable reason. "I Just Can't Wait to be King" was desperately trying to mimic the original, but it could not do in live action what the original did in traditional animation. In short, I was sad after seeing this film. The whole time spent watching this just made me want to pop in my old VHS copy of the 1994 version so that I could have a better experience.

This was also my first viewing of one of the recent live-action remakes of successful 2D Disney films, and I can't say I'm eager to see any of the others after watching this one.

What are your thoughts on the Lion King remake?

Spoiler

stone my thoughts on the lion king is that i loved it but i will say the scar song i agree no were near as good as the orginal . i mean there was no green fire . and i felt that when it came to the mufasa cloud you could barly make out his face . it was not as epic as the original . though timone and pumba were very funny and the humor was bit more adult when it came to them . beyonce as nala was not as good as i thought it was gonna be. the interactions with simba and raffki was diffrent . like simba didnt grab his staff and throw it and such . but all in all i loved the movie and really enjoyed it .

some spoilers .

On 7/28/2019 at 11:46 AM, RollingStoned said:

Now for the bad part. To me, the whole film felt like a very low-energy ordeal with none of the charm of the original. My main complaint is the absence of Jeremy Irons as Scar. "Be Prepared" was one of the best Disney villain songs in history, and this movie completely butchered it.

I agree, the worst part about the remake for me was the absence of Jeremy Irons as the voice of Scar. I remember how great the original was, but the remake is absolute trash. It didn't sound like he was singing it it felt more like a speech.

On 8/5/2019 at 12:18 AM, Paul said:

I agree, the worst part about the remake for me was the absence of Jeremy Irons as the voice of Scar. I remember how great the original was, but the remake is absolute trash. It didn't sound like he was singing it it felt more like a speech.

I wouldn't say it's absolute trash, but it's sub-par for Disney. My friend who (surprisingly) had never seen the original version really liked this film, and I personally didn't find it too bad on its own. It just wasn't nearly as great as the original.

Oftentimes when I watch a movie I loved during childhood as an adult, I look at the credits in disappointment because my rose-tinted nostalgia glasses didn't do the film justice in my mind. For The Lion King (1994), which I viewed earlier in 2019, my reaction was actually stronger than it was when I was shown this film as a child. The "Circle of Life" opening nearly brought me to tears as a grown adult. The remainder of the 1994 movie has multiple scenes with just as much emotional power.

As for my main complaint with the remake, Scar's voice in the 1994 version embodies the personality a real villain is supposed to have. He is believable, charming, and evil to the core. He's an unmerciful being overcome by greed and power. His ability to seek others to do his bidding comes with no strife to the hyenas who reside in the Pride Land's outskirts. He's a lying, manipulative, and deceitful cat, and his nephew Simba only gives him justice at the end of the film. It's hurtful to watch Scar dig his paws into Mufasa's and speak the words, "Long live the king." The remake butchers this scene like it does many others.

I've seen the 1994 version dozens of times at least, but I won't watch the remake twice.

I'm not saying the remake as a whole was trash. The part where Scar sings "Be Prepared" was trash.  The remake was fine with the exception of Scar's character. I still enjoyed the movie, and only watched it for the nostalgia.