RollingStoned

Ask the CollecToons' creator anything!

Recommended Posts

In this topic, you can ask @The Grand Poobah just about anything you want. The Grand Poobah created CollecToons over 10 years ago and has been an active member in its development ever since. Do you have a pressing question about the site that no one else can answer, or do you just want to know if he likes spaghetti? Either way, this topic is your place to go.

He approved my suggestion for this topic with these conditions: no personal/family questions about him and nothing PG-13+. All other rules and guidelines still apply, so keep it friendly, a little silly, and interesting, please.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What gave you the idea of using these shops with generated toons in them vs' Orbit's way of having a specific amount quantity of them before they were sold out?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/5/2019 at 11:37 PM, Fierce Deity said:

What gave you the idea of using these shops with generated toons in them vs' Orbit's way of having a specific amount quantity of them before they were sold out?

When I came up with the CT concept it was a hybrid of Orbit, Neopets, and the other card collecting games out there, like the ones Nick and 4Kids had at one point. I had considered even doing the card # thing Orbit did, but I remember how chaotic it got when everyone was trying to get card #1 of each of the ctoons, so I did away with that and just went with having an expandable rarity type and editions. I didnt want to just make a dupe of something that was already done, which is also a big part gToons wasnt implemented.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you also run Retro Reprints? What's the story behind the two affiliate sites?

If you do run retro reprints... do you work for a coloring book company? Curious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@The Grand Poobah Do you prefer Turkey Bacon or regular Bacon? :ninja:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Fierce Deity said:

@The Grand Poobah Do you prefer Turkey Bacon or regular Bacon? :ninja:

Regular. Anything else...

 

tenor.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/7/2019 at 9:11 PM, kaigeta said:

Do you also run Retro Reprints? What's the story behind the two affiliate sites?

If you do run retro reprints... do you work for a coloring book company? Curious.

Yup, and Toonarific. It all started with Toonarific, and while I was building that I was moonlighting, on my own time, with the staff at Orbit. RR was originally just a sub-section of Toonarific, where I wanted to have free pics for people to download and use, based on the shows I had on the main site. Well, everyone and their grandma created sites similar to Toonarific over the years - all were much smaller in scope - but some had a far bigger budget due to being corporately owned and run, so I put less time in to Toonarific and more time here, and in RR.

I don't work for a publisher, but I follow them closely. The goal of RR is to preserve and archive at least 1 full book example from each production title I have listed on RR. There are about 100 shows or so I doubt I'll get, since they are old anime and don't pop up often, but I have made a lot of headway over the years. The reason to preserve is not only to have it ready to use whenever someone wants, but also because many books are actually designed, drawn, and written by animators and writers who have worked on the shows themselves, and are hired by the publishers. I'm sure one day a copy of the archive will be donated to ASIFA-Hollywood (when I die), but that won't be for a while.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, The Grand Poobah said:

Yup, and Toonarific. It all started with Toonarific, and while I was building that I was moonlighting, on my own time, with the staff at Orbit. RR was originally just a sub-section of Toonarific, where I wanted to have free pics for people to download and use, based on the shows I had on the main site. Well, everyone and their grandma created sites similar to Toonarific over the years - all were much smaller in scope - but some had a far bigger budget due to being corporately owned and run, so I put less time in to Toonarific and more time here, and in RR.

I don't work for a publisher, but I follow them closely. The goal of RR is to preserve and archive at least 1 full book example from each production title I have listed on RR. There are about 100 shows or so I doubt I'll get, since they are old anime and don't pop up often, but I have made a lot of headway over the years. The reason to preserve is not only to have it ready to use whenever someone wants, but also because many books are actually designed, drawn, and written by animators and writers who have worked on the shows themselves, and are hired by the publishers. I'm sure one day a copy of the archive will be donated to ASIFA-Hollywood (when I die), but that won't be for a while.

Holy crap man. There's a lot to unpack there. Thanks for the answer! I'd love to hear just general soptires about what it was like to work for/at Orbit someday, maybe these older guys have heard that stuff already but I havent. You could do a full youtube history of Orbit with an interview with you, by the sounds of it *hint hint*. One last question regarding Orbit. Did you ever get any of the code from Orbit, or did you code this bad girl 100% yourself? See, i know that Orbit used code from a site Communities.com that a fellow friend and colleague of mine worked on way back in the day. While both sites are long gone, it might be neat to know some of their code lives on here.
 

I follow your work on both RR and Toonarifc and I must say the work is impressive. I had no idea some of these books were actually done by the artists themselves, and i doubt many do. Please donate it. I'll tell you a story of why. A few years back a compooany I worked for bought a floor of a Sony building in new york. The reason for the purchase was the floor was filled top to bottom with animation cells from Sunbow Entertainment (i believe one of many korean animation studios that WB, etc, would ship storyboards to at the time). There wasn't a ton of great stuff in there, but I did use your site to figure out which GI Joe cells we had scored (G.I. Joe Extreme by the way, among others). If you're ever looking for, you know, millions of animation cells that are kinda stuck together, I know a guy :). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, kaigeta said:

Did you ever get any of the code from Orbit, or did you code this bad girl 100% yourself?

No, all of the code was actually scrapped. I did try to get some, but as soon as the big wigs at CN gave the greenlight to shut down Orbit and remove it from the servers, they literally did just that. DELETE. Nothing was backed up or saved offline. Luckily I had spent my entire time there backing up all (or almost all) of the ctoon character art, and some random graphics, but i didnt have access to the backend so I couldnt clone the code before they wiped it. I was a remote user/admin, as they were in GA and I was in TX. 

I used to collect animation art WAAYY back, but dont anymore. It's cool you have access to Sunbow stuff. The painted backgrounds and key cell setups, along with storyboards, are where the money is at with that stuff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, The Grand Poobah said:

No, all of the code was actually scrapped. I did try to get some, but as soon as the big wigs at CN gave the greenlight to shut down Orbit and remove it from the servers, they literally did just that. DELETE. Nothing was backed up or saved offline. Luckily I had spent my entire time there backing up all (or almost all) of the ctoon character art, and some random graphics, but i didnt have access to the backend so I couldnt clone the code before they wiped it. I was a remote user/admin, as they were in GA and I was in TX. 

I used to collect animation art WAAYY back, but dont anymore. It's cool you have access to Sunbow stuff. The painted backgrounds and key cell setups, along with storyboards, are where the money is at with that stuff

That is truly tragic regarding the code. I'll have to let my friend know, he'll be devastated (perhaps it'd be better if i say nothing). So was there like a special mod cp or something like that? Did you ever get any screen grabs of the mod panel for Cartoon Orbit? Did WB hire a third party to manage/develop Orbit or was there like a WB Interactive arm you were answering to. Any cool mod stories?

You're absolutely right. There were BEAUTIFUL water-colored backgrounds in the lot. Thousands upon thousands of korean boxes. Sadly many of the cells had stuck together over time, but the water-colors were all well preserved.

Side note: I have spoken to Xavian in regards to some marketing strategies for the site. In short, the impression that i got is that traditional marketing is touchy due to licensing stuff. I am available and well experienced at Guerilla web marketing, and have some strategies i'd be willing to employ. One of which was reachcing out to youtubers who specialize in nostalgia. If i can get an interview set with you, would you do it and promote the site/your other projects? Feel free to pm.

Regretting starting the thread yet? Hahaha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, The Grand Poobah said:

No, all of the code was actually scrapped. I did try to get some, but as soon as the big wigs at CN gave the greenlight to shut down Orbit and remove it from the servers, they literally did just that. DELETE. Nothing was backed up or saved offline. Luckily I had spent my entire time there backing up all (or almost all) of the ctoon character art, and some random graphics, but i didnt have access to the backend so I couldnt clone the code before they wiped it. I was a remote user/admin, as they were in GA and I was in TX. 

I used to collect animation art WAAYY back, but dont anymore. It's cool you have access to Sunbow stuff. The painted backgrounds and key cell setups, along with storyboards, are where the money is at with that stuff

Holy crap I didn't know that (or at least remember it). You used to actually work on/for Cartoon Orbit?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, The Grand Poobah said:

No, all of the code was actually scrapped. I did try to get some, but as soon as the big wigs at CN gave the greenlight to shut down Orbit and remove it from the servers, they literally did just that. DELETE. Nothing was backed up or saved offline. Luckily I had spent my entire time there backing up all (or almost all) of the ctoon character art, and some random graphics, but i didnt have access to the backend so I couldnt clone the code before they wiped it. I was a remote user/admin, as they were in GA and I was in TX.

That's really sad that they didn't keep any backups. @The Grand Poobah what was your biggest contribution to Orbit?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, RollingStoned said:

That's really sad that they didn't keep any backups. @The Grand Poobah what was your biggest contribution to Orbit?

LOL. It's downfall. I policed it heavily and got rid of all the thieves and cheaters who were ruining it for everyone else. In it's final days, when CN decided to not give a crap anymore, a few people managed to get in the admin panel and created a code that, when used, gave the user everything. I forget the code exactly, but I know it was targeted directly at me :P Within a week or 2 of people breaking the system, they deleted the site and focused their energy on FusionFall, which was the next big thing and didnt last very long

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, The Grand Poobah said:

LOL. It's downfall. I policed it heavily and got rid of all the thieves and cheaters who were ruining it for everyone else. In it's final days, when CN decided to not give a crap anymore, a few people managed to get in the admin panel and created a code that, when used, gave the user everything. I forget the code exactly, but I know it was targeted directly at me :P Within a week or 2 of people breaking the system, they deleted the site and focused their energy on FusionFall, which was the next big thing and didnt last very long

So all the rumors about you were true after all! Yeah, I'm sure you forgot the code after all this time. You suck :P

@The Grand Poobah what was one thing, other than policing, that you wished you had done better back in those days? Do you still have contact with Oldcqr and those other cats from CNOC/ETCC?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was gonna end, anyway, as they already diverted all efforts and funding in to FF. I dont keep in contact with any of the old group mods, but I do still have some of the Orbit guys on FB and Linkedin. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/10/2019 at 2:11 PM, The Grand Poobah said:

LOL. It's downfall. I policed it heavily and got rid of all the thieves and cheaters who were ruining it for everyone else. In it's final days, when CN decided to not give a crap anymore, a few people managed to get in the admin panel and created a code that, when used, gave the user everything. I forget the code exactly, but I know it was targeted directly at me :P Within a week or 2 of people breaking the system, they deleted the site and focused their energy on FusionFall, which was the next big thing and didnt last very long

I believe it was TOONSUCKS if my memory is correct 

 

Time for the real question Batman or Superman?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Moana of Motunui said:

I believe it was TOONSUCKS if my memory is correct 

 

Time for the real question Batman or Superman?

 

Lol. I figured someone would remember. 

 

Superman. But not boy scout Superman - dark Superman. The one who has had enough and gets the job done. I love Batman, but when you combine Bat's brooding and contempt with Superman's powers, he's a force to be reckoned with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/15/2019 at 8:00 AM, The Grand Poobah said:

 

Lol. I figured someone would remember. 

 

Superman. But not boy scout Superman - dark Superman. The one who has had enough and gets the job done. I love Batman, but when you combine Bat's brooding and contempt with Superman's powers, he's a force to be reckoned with.

Batman is just a man with lots of money and time. If Bruce Wayne were real, he would have around 12 master's degrees.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/15/2019 at 9:00 AM, The Grand Poobah said:

 

Lol. I figured someone would remember. 

 

Superman. But not boy scout Superman - dark Superman. The one who has had enough and gets the job done. I love Batman, but when you combine Bat's brooding and contempt with Superman's powers, he's a force to be reckoned with.

Did you see Infinity War and End Game?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.