Sign in to follow this  
Fearfreak

Discord

Not to stir a pot. I hate the chat we use. Look at discord it is amazing especially with  notifications and messaging. You don't have to use a browser to join chat.

what is everyones take? Can we make this happen. I would be way more involved if we had one. 

This also makes it easier for people to just drop in and see whats up. 

I will even start it if i have to. 

20 hours and no feedback seems like a no

There has been talk of getting one, and one is being developed for us, but the person who has been making it for us has been having life problems of his own. So it is coming, just unsure on an estimated time for launch. 

However this is my own personal take on having a Discord for us. I understand people being interested in a CT Discord as Discord is the current big chatroom thing. But to me Oasiz, while maybe 'outdated' or 'bland', works BETTER for what we need.

You do not need an account, unlike Discord so far as I've been able to gather, and that's going to be a turn off for some. Heck, right now as I type we have 8 people in chat and half are guest users. And you can just drop in anytime with Oasiz, without an account, you just type your nickname and you're allowed in, no approval or anything. 

Plus with regards to new players, sometimes people come in with problems in regards to making their accounts. I have had people say they need help verifying their account and there wasn't even an account made to verify. If they don't have an account and need help making it, I wouldn't approve someone into the Discord if they aren't a player, so I don't know how they would get help.

And with regards to approving people, that would be an issue as well. Of the staff currently, I'm the only one who is consistently in the Oasiz chat every day at one point or another. And to be brutally honest, I have no interest in Discord. Even if we have one, I'll still likely use the Oasiz one. So I just don't know who there would be to approve people or be there for the sake of having staff THERE, for price checks, questions, or whatever else.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to us getting Discord per say, I see people are looking for us to have one so sure, let's get one. But I don't know, I just don't see a need for it when I think our current chat works for what we need it for.

43 minutes ago, Sharktibolt said:

There has been talk of getting one, and one is being developed for us, but the person who has been making it for us has been having life problems of his own. So it is coming, just unsure on an estimated time for launch. 

However this is my own personal take on having a Discord for us. I understand people being interested in a CT Discord as Discord is the current big chatroom thing. But to me Oasiz, while maybe 'outdated' or 'bland', works BETTER for what we need.

You do not need an account, unlike Discord so far as I've been able to gather, and that's going to be a turn off for some. Heck, right now as I type we have 8 people in chat and half are guest users. And you can just drop in anytime with Oasiz, without an account, you just type your nickname and you're allowed in, no approval or anything. 

Plus with regards to new players, sometimes people come in with problems in regards to making their accounts. I have had people say they need help verifying their account and there wasn't even an account made to verify. If they don't have an account and need help making it, I wouldn't approve someone into the Discord if they aren't a player, so I don't know how they would get help.

And with regards to approving people, that would be an issue as well. Of the staff currently, I'm the only one who is consistently in the Oasiz chat every day at one point or another. And to be brutally honest, I have no interest in Discord. Even if we have one, I'll still likely use the Oasiz one. So I just don't know who there would be to approve people or be there for the sake of having staff THERE, for price checks, questions, or whatever else.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to us getting Discord per say, I see people are looking for us to have one so sure, let's get one. But I don't know, I just don't see a need for it when I think our current chat works for what we need it for.

I've been on this subject for quite a while. I will say i understand your perspective, being a admin and all, but the pros far outweigh the cons here in my opinion. 

1. You do not need an account, unlike Discord so far as I've been able to gather, and that's going to be a turn off for some. Heck, right now as I type we have 8 people in chat and half are guest users. And you can just drop in anytime with Oasiz, without an account, you just type your nickname and you're allowed in, no approval or anything. 

I would be fascinated to know the number of users who are turned off by making an account for Discord. I'd be willing to bet more users, or at least more potential (future) users, already have a Discord account. If they don't, making one is no more difficult than making a CT account. I am betting you could count the amount of people this is a barrier to on one hand, could be wrong though. This isn't even to mention that having a Discord itself is in fact a form of promotion. Services like Disboard and Discord.me give you server visibility, and can attract a whole new demographic to your game.

2. Plus with regards to new players, sometimes people come in with problems in regards to making their accounts. I have had people say they need help verifying their account and there wasn't even an account made to verify. If they don't have an account and need help making it, I wouldn't approve someone into the Discord if they aren't a player, so I don't know how they would get help.

I'd imagine the forum/social media/support email also serve this function. Adding something to the registration section directing people to something other than the chat might be wise as it stands anyway.

3. And with regards to approving people, that would be an issue as well. Of the staff currently, I'm the only one who is consistently in the Oasiz chat every day at one point or another. And to be brutally honest, I have no interest in Discord. Even if we have one, I'll still likely use the Oasiz one. So I just don't know who there would be to approve people or be there for the sake of having staff THERE, for price checks, questions, or whatever else.

Suppose this issue is internal. The added functionality of a mobile chat plus the gamification options offered by discord should outweigh this, methinks. Both platforms serve the exact same function, with one simply offering more API-wise, etc.

That's my two cents. As something who has used both platforms extensively and is new to CT as of 2018. I've written discord bots and worked with other chat platforms extensively. So once again if help is needed in this area just hit me up. Good luck!

P.S. When i brought this up last year in my topic, i think we had 4-5 users for a Discord, with one user against. I believe Oasisx was working on it with Xavian last i had tabs on this.

18 hours ago, kaigeta said:

I've been on this subject for quite a while. I will say i understand your perspective, being a admin and all, but the pros far outweigh the cons here in my opinion. 

1. You do not need an account, unlike Discord so far as I've been able to gather, and that's going to be a turn off for some. Heck, right now as I type we have 8 people in chat and half are guest users. And you can just drop in anytime with Oasiz, without an account, you just type your nickname and you're allowed in, no approval or anything. 

I would be fascinated to know the number of users who are turned off by making an account for Discord. I'd be willing to bet more users, or at least more potential (future) users, already have a Discord account. If they don't, making one is no more difficult than making a CT account. I am betting you could count the amount of people this is a barrier to on one hand, could be wrong though. This isn't even to mention that having a Discord itself is in fact a form of promotion. Services like Disboard and Discord.me give you server visibility, and can attract a whole new demographic to your game.

2. Plus with regards to new players, sometimes people come in with problems in regards to making their accounts. I have had people say they need help verifying their account and there wasn't even an account made to verify. If they don't have an account and need help making it, I wouldn't approve someone into the Discord if they aren't a player, so I don't know how they would get help.

I'd imagine the forum/social media/support email also serve this function. Adding something to the registration section directing people to something other than the chat might be wise as it stands anyway.

3. And with regards to approving people, that would be an issue as well. Of the staff currently, I'm the only one who is consistently in the Oasiz chat every day at one point or another. And to be brutally honest, I have no interest in Discord. Even if we have one, I'll still likely use the Oasiz one. So I just don't know who there would be to approve people or be there for the sake of having staff THERE, for price checks, questions, or whatever else.

Suppose this issue is internal. The added functionality of a mobile chat plus the gamification options offered by discord should outweigh this, methinks. Both platforms serve the exact same function, with one simply offering more API-wise, etc.

That's my two cents. As something who has used both platforms extensively and is new to CT as of 2018. I've written discord bots and worked with other chat platforms extensively. So once again if help is needed in this area just hit me up. Good luck!

P.S. When i brought this up last year in my topic, i think we had 4-5 users for a Discord, with one user against. I believe Oasisx was working on it with Xavian last i had tabs on this.

oasis was working on it, but he has been constantly busy, so there has not been much progress. I did write up rules for it and everything, but it's been a dead topic till he has more time.

as for any sort of chatroom, shark is right, we need it moderated and it would be a verification type of deal, since there are a lot of banned players who we do not want anywhere near anything ct related. atm shark is the only person who has been in the chatroom often.

I'm way too busy, sora is too busy, and our one Gm just quit the game haha

our hms have stuff to do too, but when it comes to moderating any sort of chatroom, we need it staffed with multiple people.

shark doesnt seem interested, i dont have the time, and sora isnt a chat person on the regular, so it's a big IF atm about getting any sort of discord going, sadly.

On 5/1/2019 at 5:43 PM, Fearfreak said:

20 hours and no feedback seems like a no

as of late, we've been busier, with our real jobs, so yes, it'll take a while to get a reply sometimes :P but we do reply haha

we want to move on with better stuff, but the activity as of late has been lacking in game, in chat, and in forums. to undertake yet another platform, when we are currently so understaffed and have so few players left on ct is a lot for those of us left atm.

and no, we cant just get more mods. you'd be surprised what power does to some players. it's why i am so selective of who i let in the team anymore. 

4 hours ago, Xavianangel said:

oasis was working on it, but he has been constantly busy, so there has not been much progress. I did write up rules for it and everything, but it's been a dead topic till he has more time.

as for any sort of chatroom, shark is right, we need it moderated and it would be a verification type of deal, since there are a lot of banned players who we do not want anywhere near anything ct related. atm shark is the only person who has been in the chatroom often.

I'm way too busy, sora is too busy, and our one Gm just quit the game haha

our hms have stuff to do too, but when it comes to moderating any sort of chatroom, we need it staffed with multiple people.

shark doesnt seem interested, i dont have the time, and sora isnt a chat person on the regular, so it's a big IF atm about getting any sort of discord going, sadly.

as of late, we've been busier, with our real jobs, so yes, it'll take a while to get a reply sometimes :P but we do reply haha

we want to move on with better stuff, but the activity as of late has been lacking in game, in chat, and in forums. to undertake yet another platform, when we are currently so understaffed and have so few players left on ct is a lot for those of us left atm.

and no, we cant just get more mods. you'd be surprised what power does to some players. it's why i am so selective of who i let in the team anymore. 

Sounds like you need discord to get new players/increase current player activity (as evidenced by decreasing activity). It also sounds like if there was any increase in player activity, staff wouldnt be able to handle it. To be honest, the way you describe the staff relationship with the site currently it appears to be in a "guided death spiral." Not good from any perspective, and disheartening to say the least.

To say activity needs to increase to warrant a discord is the most backwards thing i've ever read from a community staffer TBH. 

I guess i'll put it this way. We're all busy. I've been waiting on a decent chat room for this game that i donate a fair amount of money to for about six months now, and it's something i could make, and make in a self sustaining way, in a night (according to your needs). As we're all busy, myself included, if time and money are better spent elsewhere, I understand and perhaps i too will get on board with that.

These replies couldn't be more disappointing, whats the point of this game really if no one has the time to run it beyond its basic mechanics? I had no idea the state of the game was as such.

6 hours ago, kaigeta said:

Sounds like you need discord to get new players/increase current player activity (as evidenced by decreasing activity). It also sounds like if there was any increase in player activity, staff wouldnt be able to handle it. To be honest, the way you describe the staff relationship with the site currently it appears to be in a "guided death spiral." Not good from any perspective, and disheartening to say the least.

To say activity needs to increase to warrant a discord is the most backwards thing i've ever read from a community staffer TBH. 

I guess i'll put it this way. We're all busy. I've been waiting on a decent chat room for this game that i donate a fair amount of money to for about six months now, and it's something i could make, and make in a self sustaining way, in a night (according to your needs). As we're all busy, myself included, if time and money are better spent elsewhere, I understand and perhaps i too will get on board with that.

These replies couldn't be more disappointing, whats the point of this game really if no one has the time to run it beyond its basic mechanics? I had no idea the state of the game was as such.

We take time with the game and forums. We can handle that and the players. Weve had leas staff with more players in the past. 

The issue is a chat that will need constant monitoring and special permissions. 

Idk I thought about this all day and maybe we need like special discord people so that if mods are away, rules are still followed. 

I mean it saves everything anyway and we could do a bot.

Idk morei think about it, let's see when oasis logs back in and we can go from there. I'm not opposed, just skeptical and overly worried over rule following,z permissions, and troublemakers.

So I apologize for the time the Discord sever has been taking. Between some issues with school, family, and gf dealing with some major medical issues that we're still attempting to figure out my free time has been used to attempt to keep the home front stable along with myself. The server is 99.9% done. All I have left is to input the rules and make sure permissions are set correctly, while this only takes a little time and more features can be added in the future each day brings some new situation that is hindering me from being able to complete it (Today someone decided to let air out of one of my tires, easy fix but it's also sad when I have a strong feeling on who did it.)

The second problem is someone on the moderation team needs to be willing to take the jump and learn how to use Discord and such. I'm not a mod anymore and never will be so creating this out of my own spare time is my gift for people to interact whenever they want on the go with the site they grew up on, and with the people they want whenever they want. I have quite a few days off this week and using them to get myself back into a mentally fit state to work on stuff again, this is something that's constantly on my mind that needs to get done but my personal health and dealings come first over something I'm doing for free so please just be patient for a little bit longer.

On 5/4/2019 at 7:33 PM, oasisx said:

So I apologize for the time the Discord sever has been taking. Between some issues with school, family, and gf dealing with some major medical issues that we're still attempting to figure out my free time has been used to attempt to keep the home front stable along with myself. The server is 99.9% done. All I have left is to input the rules and make sure permissions are set correctly, while this only takes a little time and more features can be added in the future each day brings some new situation that is hindering me from being able to complete it (Today someone decided to let air out of one of my tires, easy fix but it's also sad when I have a strong feeling on who did it.)

The second problem is someone on the moderation team needs to be willing to take the jump and learn how to use Discord and such. I'm not a mod anymore and never will be so creating this out of my own spare time is my gift for people to interact whenever they want on the go with the site they grew up on, and with the people they want whenever they want. I have quite a few days off this week and using them to get myself back into a mentally fit state to work on stuff again, this is something that's constantly on my mind that needs to get done but my personal health and dealings come first over something I'm doing for free so please just be patient for a little bit longer.

First of all, ty for doing this and yes real life always comes first, so no need to apologize for the delay.

I mean I know how to use discord. Idk how to mod it. I'm sure I'd learn.   I'd need more mods to learn too, though. All mods really. I could also try to get a discord team of players to watch over it when mods arent around.

Could also Make stricter rules since everything people would type would stay saved on the chat for all to see.

It's an easy platform and frankly I hate the guest accounts on oasiz since we get many trolls.

@Moana of Motunui I know you're leaving the game, but I know you do a lot of work with online communities. If you're interested in JUST discord, let me know. 

Idk I'll poke around the discord room tomorrow, oasis, and I'll try it out.