Sign in to follow this  
MTD_Orbit

Remembering Cartoon Orbit

Hey,

It's been a while since I've visited this website. I remember when it first launched!

I'm just wondering, who remembers cartoon orbit aka the inspiration of this game?? Man... I miss it so much, even after all this time. I was only like 11 years old when I started playing that game, and I'm not sure what it was but I was hooked from the start. I loved the simple yet complex feel of gToons, and really liked how the strength of your deck depended on actually obtaining the gToon card in your collection (sort of like how a real life match would be, like in Pokemon or Magic the gathering). I wasn't great at the game, but it sucked me in and eventually started becoming addicting. I wasn't playing when all the BB cRings (blue backs) were sold cheaply, so they were already considered like ultra rare when I started. I wasn't an original player but I still considered myself a vet since I started around 2003, and think I ended up with a few BBs before orbit closed. I still have a pic of my cZone on Photobucket that I can post if anyone is interested, but it's bad quality. But man... the memories were splendid indeed.... I remember people used to try to scam me in the trading zone by accepting the trade and then somehow removing the item they were trading.. I remember telling my dad I didn't want to go camping (because I wanted to play orbit all night) and ended up getting scammed of the Scarecrow, from Super Friends, that same night.. and cried like a noob lol (literally on the ground crying.. LOL). But then I grinded and completed the super friends set. My overall collection wasn't "amazing", but I was SO proud of it. Let me try to flex and remember my collection... full DBZ set, a few BBs, full valentines set, nearly full candidate set, slade in shadow, Eduardo, boom box, all the slam gToons, a few rare PPG cToons, and of course the SF set, and I'm sure a lot more that I'm forgetting. Cartoon orbit actually taught me a lot growing up... such as supply and demand, pricing, how to work with numbers, how to plan, organize, and set goals, and probably the most important thing Orbit taught me was how to make friends, particularly at cZone central. Anyone else remember cZone Central? That place was my home for years. My main group of friends were Lord Kai Mee, Master Gohan Ha8, Monographic Skip95, and Jazzy... (weird how I can still remember their usernames lol). I basically lost contact with them all, except Jazzy. 

I've played other games that were popular back then, like Neopets and Runescape, but Orbit definitely has a special place in my heart. Always has. So much time has passed that I literally went YEARS not even thinking about Cartoon Orbit, and then BAM, all the memories start flooding my mind and the nostalgia is strong.

Did anyone here play Cartoon Orbit, or have any pictures??

PS: I am contemplating creating an account here just for fun, but I don't see myself playing competitively unless cross-trading between games is legal in the TOS here. I still play runescape and neopets on and off, but if I can't cross trade then there's really no point in starting from so far behind as I am a competitive spirit. :P

Anyway, thanks for reading! I look forward to hearing from any Orbiters!

-MTD

I played orbit too. It's what made me come here. Loved the game. Wish I had pics lol.

Played Orbit too. Lot of fun memories as a kid. Only thing I have to remember it by is the certificates they let you print out before Orbit closed. 

My Son, daughter and I all played orbit back in the day...better times i have to admit..i miss gtoons the most of everything..i was hooked on playing that game..sure wish i would have some pics from back then..thanks for bringing back some wonderful memories for me too..

I played Orbit beginning in '01 or '02. My original account was deleted, hacked, or I plain just forgot which password I used, but it didn't have much other than some semi-rare DBZ toons. As soon as I realized I couldn't log in to my first account, I created a second one. I originally joined before auctions were implemented, so my early days were mostly spent making cZones and checking shops for toons I didn't have. I printed out many cToon checklists and filled them out accordingly. I mainly logged in to get the CCF codes on Friday nights. Internet was painfully slow back then, so I used to use my uncle's computer when I had the chance, which had a (then-) lightning-fast DSL connection to browse shops and later auctions. CCF codes were my absolute favorite. I adored the CCF cards and later the "Cartoon Cartoons" CCF cToons of the second type. CCF was hands-down the biggest draw to Orbit IMO, and the switch to live-action "Fridays" was the beginning of the end of childhood Cartoon Network for me.

Moving on, I didn't hold back from cheating when I could, though it didn't get me very far. I'll admit to harvesting quite a bit back then, but since the practice wasn't banned, I had no better option to gain points and (mostly starter) cToons. If everyone else was cheating to get ahead, why didn't I? After a while, I realized the site's admins clearly didn't care one way or the other. I remember seeing so many obviously harvested starters (especially Braintronic Dexter) in auctions go for 1-5 points. On the other hand, I also remember the auction-onlys and other super rare cToons going for prices I could only dream about!

Despite cheating a fair bit, I was never what I'd call a great player. I didn't get into gToons like so many other players did. Winball was my guilty pleasure. I'd play that in a heartbeat if it came to CT. I remember spending so much time trying to win whatever prizes were offered, which I remember to be PPG arcade toons and that darn goldfish, among others.

I didn't get into the forum clique until late '05. My first experience was on the MSN group CNOC (Cartoon Network Orbit cToons). It vanished quickly after I joined to relocate to the (surprisingly still online) TheETCC.net around early '06. I made an account, but because I could only log in on weekends for personal reasons, I wasn't very active.

Not long after joining the then-new TheETCC.net, I started seeing warning signs like never before. Orbit was going to go away because moderators simply stopped moderating. Bug fixes became non-existent, and hackers were discovering new ways to ruin the game for other players.

Then it happened. Cartoon Orbit was shutting down.

I was devastated. My first thought was to print off my cZone. I then printed off copies of all the cToon movie posters that I had at the time. A few were buggy in the printing stage, but most of them got done. I still have every printout of Orbit I made except for the checklist cToons in storage. I even got the certificate for being an Orbiter with my username and start date.

Though I wasn't online on the final day, I really wish I could have been. There was a code released that day, supposedly via hackers, that granted the user with every cToon in the game.

12 hours ago, RollingStoned said:

My first experience was on the MSN group CNOC (Cartoon Network Orbit cToons). It vanished quickly after I joined to relocate to the (surprisingly still online) TheETCC.net around early '06.

Lol. I created these groups with Oldcqr and Greenchylde back then. I think we had CNOC going for about a year or so before we upgrade to ETCC. The days of Yahoo Groups and Geocities

10 hours ago, The Grand Poobah said:

Lol. I created these groups with Oldcqr and Greenchylde back then. I think we had CNOC going for about a year or so before we upgrade to ETCC. The days of Yahoo Groups and Geocities

Oldcqr was the man! If you care to give it out, did you have a screenname on those sites, and, if so, what was it?

11 hours ago, RollingStoned said:

Oldcqr was the man! If you care to give it out, did you have a screenname on those sites, and, if so, what was it?

I think I was TheRedman. Memory is fuzzy as it was over 10 years ago ;) Jazzy would certainly know

On 7/11/2019 at 7:26 AM, The Grand Poobah said:

I think I was TheRedman. Memory is fuzzy as it was over 10 years ago ;) Jazzy would certainly know

I don't remember that name other than your Yahoo! email address. Does Jazzy still play CT? @Jazzy?

i remember orbit like it was yesterday . so many memories i started in early 2001 and i collected everything but my favorite was dexters lab . i remember being apart of techmans orbit page . and waiting for the CTFs and coming home from elementary school to play cartoon orbit . it took a lot of hours away from that i used to spend playing console games . i remember using the orbit clyclers back before people started using them to get peoples passwords you could could keep them running all day and wake up with millions of points . then of course years later they put a limit on how much you could get from surfing cworlds . i can say for sure i never cheated anyone.years into orbit i met a person that was my best friend years ago back then . her name was PPG97 and me and her were the  best of friends she helped me join toon orbit page ECT and that were i met toon and jazzy and so many others back then . we would have chat partys every friday and we had trivia nights were you could use the points you earned to get prizes and there was always big toon give aways . i remember one of the nights was named MVP one of the triva nights because i helped my team to victory .  i remember it was a lot of fun and its were i got my nickname rubixcube . me and PPG were really good friends sad after orbit closed i never saw her again . i know she did join CT but i guess only for a brif stint and then quit games like this .  those were some of my best memeories of orbit .  i played orbit before it filled up with errors and people stealing and wiping out accounts guys like the red fox who wiped people out compltely and spent all there points down to zero . at the end .  i was apart of every year besides 2000 i played till it closed down .

Some of my favorite childhood memories are watching Cartoon Cartoon Fridays with my neighborhood friends and inputing the Orbit codes. I definitely loved the Bugs v Daffy Big Game toons, which is why I try to collect a bunch of those here. I was just young enough at the time to not really remember much of what I had, but I remember loving it for quite a while.

1 hour ago, FredTheFish said:

Some of my favorite childhood memories are watching Cartoon Cartoon Fridays with my neighborhood friends and inputing the Orbit codes. I definitely loved the Bugs v Daffy Big Game toons, which is why I try to collect a bunch of those here. I was just young enough at the time to not really remember much of what I had, but I remember loving it for quite a while.

i loved the bugs and daffy ones . or the candidate toons . or the ice cream popicle toons . i also of course loved the blue backs so many good ones . or when they had the auction onlys when those first came out . i remember having the bat single it was split into two parts so you had to put in both codes . my favorite was dexters lab on there . 

I'm still alive everyone... If anyone even remembers me. haha

Anyway, I played orbit a lot back in the day. It's how I stumbled across this site actually! I was only 12 years old when I played orbit back in the day. I miss those days... Watching Teen Titans,  X-Men Evolution, Samurai Jack, and Dragon Ball GT - all while trying to collect the aforementioned ctoons in game. (DBZ toons were such a pain in the bahook to get ahold of haha). I believe I saw someone admitting they harvested on Orbit... Well, I did too. Haha When you're 12 years old it was about the only way to get points in the game. But it worked I guess. I do remember you could only select 'pre-selected names'. I was Lance Havok Blast - and proud of it because I didn't have any numbers in my name. Which given the large amount of harvesting that occurred was something of a feat... Then again - maybe not. Haha

It wasn't until I was in my early twenties that I came across this site. As I said earlier I felt nostalgia for cartoon orbit one day and saw that this place popped up in a google search. Been here pretty much ever since (albeit off and on with my activity). I'll admit when I first came here I didn't much like any of the members on the forums. Everything was strict and the mods then were a bit... 'harsh'. But things laxed more as time went on and I even became a donator for a while. Which reminds me - I really should donate again. I'll try to be a bit more active too! Life has kept me busy mind you... But not so busy that I can't pop in once in a while yeah?

1 hour ago, Ludiologist said:

I'm still alive everyone... If anyone even remembers me. haha

Anyway, I played orbit a lot back in the day. It's how I stumbled across this site actually! I was only 12 years old when I played orbit back in the day. I miss those days... Watching Teen Titans,  X-Men Evolution, Samurai Jack, and Dragon Ball GT - all while trying to collect the aforementioned ctoons in game. (DBZ toons were such a pain in the bahook to get ahold of haha). I believe I saw someone admitting they harvested on Orbit... Well, I did too. Haha When you're 12 years old it was about the only way to get points in the game. But it worked I guess. I do remember you could only select 'pre-selected names'. I was Lance Havok Blast - and proud of it because I didn't have any numbers in my name. Which given the large amount of harvesting that occurred was something of a feat... Then again - maybe not. Haha

It wasn't until I was in my early twenties that I came across this site. As I said earlier I felt nostalgia for cartoon orbit one day and saw that this place popped up in a google search. Been here pretty much ever since (albeit off and on with my activity). I'll admit when I first came here I didn't much like any of the members on the forums. Everything was strict and the mods then were a bit... 'harsh'. But things laxed more as time went on and I even became a donator for a while. Which reminds me - I really should donate again. I'll try to be a bit more active too! Life has kept me busy mind you... But not so busy that I can't pop in once in a while yeah?

If you wanna join us on discord i can send you and invite

Anyone who hasn't already checked out Toon's Massive Cartoon Network Archival Project (MCOAP) should do so. Sadly the site is a shell of its former self nowadays, but you can still get a glimpse of it via the Wayback Machine.

On 10/19/2019 at 7:03 PM, RollingStoned said:

Anyone who hasn't already checked out Toon's Massive Cartoon Network Archival Project (MCOAP) should do so. Sadly the site is a shell of its former self nowadays, but you can still get a glimpse of it via the Wayback Machine.

Thank you for that. It was nice to see pictures of Orbit. 

image.png.23bb96f164bc771e95a59e2cc28adf33.png

My old zone on Orbit.

Chugg.jpg

Late to the party, but here's the complete A.O.s

Still friends with a few people from the Orbit days, some fantastic memories bottled up in that site.

Yes I remember Orbit. I have fond memories of me and my friend Billy Schrauder. We used to go up to the Marple Public Library and play hours of Orbit. I had a account, and other account I'd make a delete to score points, trade over the ctoons I get from it, and proceed to generate. It was alot of fun, and to have the best account we could get. We trade, and I was maybe in my early teens middle school and it was always great to see the orbit code and punch it in. And I think that compared to this site, where you have no limit to what series. The only advantage was the immersive quality between shows and ctoons and added content stuff. Really like anyone else wish I had a way of showing my old account stuff, or having some kind of record of it. But overall I'm glad this site was around to bring back that, and do it's own thing in the process. Collectoons like Orbit is going to be missed.