Sign in to follow this  
The Grand Poobah

Site improvements and expansions

Before I get started, I just want to say that wanting a full site redesign or to have a full mobile app is not in the cards right now. We werent even sure this year was going to happen, and I just renewed for a better server for awhile, so we want to see progress this year to make a longer term decision. With that, I still want to make some new things happen, and get some old things improved. I know a few of you have posted EXTENSIVE want lists in the site suggestions area, so I want to centralize those ideas in 1 place where everyone can discuss them and vote on what should be at the top of the list, and what should be used when the Charmin runs out. I want to see a list of everything posted here, and we can see what I can put on a dev list to be worked on. I still feel the arcade should be at the top, and Im pretty sure I have some candidates in place that could do it. I just need to select one. So, without being too long-winded in this post, let's see what you all come up with.

I think maybe having some individual posts of some ideas where people can just 'like' it for a vote would be good. The more likes an idea gets the more we can see which ones people see as needed more than others.

I'll just start with the one you mentioned as being a big one, new Arcade games.

Allow for stacking of toons in user shops.

Example: Instead of 8 of a toon taking up 8 spots, it just counts as 1 spot at x8. 

Expand Trade Board, Auctions, and Mall searches to allow for other options, such as By Set or By Rarity.

Make it so toons are stacked when viewing someone's collection.

Example: If an account has x160 of a Clash Card, this would make it so it just shows x160 of the toon, instead of having to skim through 10 pages to get to the next toon.

A search feature for cWorld backgrounds. Currently there is nothing to even tell what a background is from, or to even suggest they are in any particular order.

Have a Sent Mail section for the Inbox, for people to track what messages they have sent to other players.

Search by year feature so we know what year a certain toon is from without having to look at the info card.

Have a smackdown bot so we dont have to wait for someone.

Be able to add music to our cworld the way we do to our shops

Updated shop layouts for the main 6.

Add in gtoons. Starsapphire has a gtoons game that many people have tried on here. Would be cool to add that in for nostalgia reasons.

Prize wheel. 

Like the time machine, but it gives new exclusives, points, and lots more older toons. With a big cost, like the time machine, and 10 tries. Unlike the lotto, you win something every time, be it points, tickets, or toons.

a wormhole in game for pokemon that you just hit a button on, instead of posting on forums

18 hours ago, Xavianangel said:

a wormhole in game for pokemon that you just hit a button on, instead of posting on forums

That would be doable could clone the time machine script and sql and make a separate field for a wormhole, input exclusive toons and give it a selection of old prizes

I think it would be wise to either assign an active Staff member/mod to the Collectoons social media accounts, and leverage them actively, or delete those social media accounts all together. Ya'll got 2k following on FB for instance, it might be worth trying to reach out to those members through either paid or unpaid promotions. I see we do the regular monthly updates, but it might be worth doing a bit more social wise to bring people to Collectoons, with only a few posts a month, our visibility on social is likely close to zero. As it sits, there are currently a few links on the site that point to dead social accounts (i.e. CT Central->News & Updates), it's just a bad look. Better to use 'em or lose 'em.

Also still waiting on Discord. Last i heard there were concerns with setting up bans, if this is still an issue feel free to let me know, there are plenty of solutions.

I still firmly posit that a Discord channel will grant a more mobile friendly CT experience with very little legwork. Chat events, random codes through a bot, there are tons of potential gamification options that will up user engagement and offer fresh experience with little to no coding required. While mobile CT is still far off, Discord would at least allow for a mobile "arm" of CT that hosts events and increases community engagement.

I've always thought having "platform exclusive" toons might be a neat idea. (TW) for twitter toons, (FB) for facebook, (DS) for discord. Kind of adds a little bit more of a scavenger hunt feel to code finding. Food for thought!

Since my last Windows update, Flash is dead on this site.  With no way to get points (play arcade games) my Tooning is done until CT updates to HTML-5 or something that works with Edge or Firefox or Chrome...

On 3/27/2019 at 6:41 AM, The Grand Poobah said:

I know a few of you have posted EXTENSIVE want lists in the site suggestions area

I've posted so many suggestions, fixes, and tweaks that I might as well have my own subforum. I'd be spamming the h-e-double-hockey-sticks out of this thread if I included everything.  :garscream:

On 3/27/2019 at 6:41 AM, The Grand Poobah said:

and what should be used when the Charmin runs out

Corn cobs ;)

21 hours ago, RollingStoned said:

I've posted so many suggestions, fixes, and tweaks that I might as well have my own subforum. I'd be spamming the h-e-double-hockey-sticks out of this thread if I included everything.  :garscream:

Corn cobs ;)

Im evaluating the life expectancy of the site. Everyone was so excited about the better server upgrade that they started to fall off the face of the Earth and forget that this is all crowdsourced, and still expect new features and improvements. We'll see how the Summer goes.

On 6/18/2019 at 8:37 AM, The Grand Poobah said:

Im evaluating the life expectancy of the site. Everyone was so excited about the better server upgrade that they started to fall off the face of the Earth and forget that this is all crowdsourced, and still expect new features and improvements. We'll see how the Summer goes.

If I ever move my way out of the paycheck-to-paycheck life, I'll give this site a grand donation. You can bet on it!

15 hours ago, RollingStoned said:

If I ever move my way out of the paycheck-to-paycheck life, I'll give this site a grand donation. You can bet on it!

I dont want that though. No 1 person should try to carry the rest. There used to be enough players where only $5 a month, per player, could carry it fine. But that never happened, and we do the contests to try and entice more to help, but that doesnt work anymore either. I just dont think there is enough of a call for it anymore, from the looks of it.

13 hours ago, The Grand Poobah said:

I dont want that though. No 1 person should try to carry the rest. There used to be enough players where only $5 a month, per player, could carry it fine. But that never happened, and we do the contests to try and entice more to help, but that doesnt work anymore either. I just dont think there is enough of a call for it anymore, from the looks of it.

Hundreds of thousands played Orbit back in the day. That number of people could play CT today if we had the right advertisement strategy. Why did anyone play Orbit? They saw Double D, Eustace, The Mayor, or I.R. Baboon on CCF giving them an Orbit code for a toon they couldn't miss! I recall calling my aunt to enter my login info and active CCF codes for me in the dial-up days when she had DSL.

Spend more money on advertising (not just banner ads) and this site will grow faster than the hair in my ears.

we cant. CN owned those shows, so they could do whatever they wanted with them