Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
drue

Shiny Pokemon Hunting

7 posts in this topic

Whats up fellow cTooners? I was wondering if anyone on here liked to participate in hunting shinies on the Pokemon games (Gen 2 and up). If you dont know what shinies are or hunting for that matter. Shiny Pokemon are a super rare different colored Pkmn than the original. Much like the red Gyrados we all know of from Generation 2. All shinies will have a star when you check out their status in your party and an awesome shiny effect that vary depending on the game you're playing. Their is a small community of shiny hunters that live record them hunting on YouTube and post videos of their reactions when they come across their desired (or not desired lol) find. The odds of finding a full chance shiny are 1/8129. As the games progressed so did methods of hunting shinies did too. Other methods include the Masuda Method which involves hatching eggs from parents of two different nationalites, chain fishing and the pokeradar method.

I figured this could be a place we can share our current shinies, current hunts, most wanted Pkmn and even our failed attempts. Also if you want to hunt together over Skype or in chat this could be a nice place to meet up as well! Currently I am hunting in Ruby for a Shiny Torchic and am about 1250 soft resets. Hoping it wont take too long but you never know. Good luck with all your hunts and hope the odds are in your favor!

Heres my list of Pokemon I've caught and also failed from the past years:

-Bulbasaur/Ivysaur/Venasaur
-Sudowoodo
-Chickorita/Bayleef/Meganium
-Mudkip/Marshtomp/Swampert
-Budew/Roselia
-Oshawatt
-Cyndaquil/Quilava/Typhlosion
-Bellsprout/Weepinbell/Victrebell
-llumise
-Treecko
-Voltorb
-Hitmonlee
-Carvhana

-Luvdisc
-Magikarp/Gyrados
-Snorlax
-Poochyena (Uncatchable x2)
-Torchic/Combusken
-Mawile

-Seedot/Nuzleaf
-Numel

Shiny hunters are crazy. Especially the people like you who do the soft resets (especially the ones at the start of the game). Let us know if/when you get your Torchic! I've never hunted, but I've been lucky enough to find a couple in the wild. My first ever was in Emerald version I found a shiny Wurmple at the start of the game.There MUST be some method that no one has made popular yet, because I got 2 other shinies by the same "accidental method". 

Method: All the games have some type of forest at the beggining of the game (Petalburg Woods for Emerald/Viridian Forest in Firered). What I did was I went through the forest into the other route/town. Then, I remembered there was a certain Pokemon in those woods that I didn't catch (Shroomish/Pikachu). So I went back in and all 3 times I found a shiny Pokemon (Wurmple/Weedle/Pidove). 

Now, Idk if its a real method or coinceidnce, but the chances of a coincidence for 3 games straight doing the same thing are about 1/24,387. So I have suspicions. 

Anyways, heres my whole list that I was lucky enough to find:

Gen 1: Weedle, Seaking (caught in the safari zone while searching for a Seaking because it was one of the last 5 Pokemon I needed for my dex.... I was sweating profusely because they always ran on me haha)

Gen 2: None unless you count Gyarados lol

Gen 3: Wurmple and Lotad 

Gen 4: None, prob why it's my least fav gen lol

Gen 5: Pidove and Vullaby 

Gen 6: I actually did use the Masuda method for this game and hatched 2 Pokemon: Froakie and Larvitar. Took over 700 eggs for Forakie and over 1,200 for Larvitar. Never doing that again haha

Gen7: I haven't finished the game to be fair lol

I hatched a shiny Charmander like 5 months ago. It took me about 3 weeks of hatching Charmader eggs I'm not sure how many I did each day but it was a lot. Over the years I have caught these shiny pokemon listed below.

Nidoran♀ = my first shiny I caught I remember wishing it was the male one because he had a cooler color XD
Metapod
Bellsprout
Kabuto

Gyarados = seems like this one was common but listed it anyways
Electabuzz
Igglybuff
Teddiursa
Pupitar
Palpitoad

Last shiny seen failed to catch. I don't remember what happened but somehow I failed to catch this maybe I ran out of pokeballs or something I don't know but it was real bummer to miss this one.
Lapras

So after 5 days of hunting, 4360 soft resets later, I got my Shiny Torchic earlier today in Ruby. On a cool hunting ID 00945, plus It even came with an Adament nature! So freaking lucky lol. Didnt have to come across any uncatchable Poochyena's this go round either. It looks freaking awesome. And got to evolve it into the even more awesome Combusken as well. It looks so so sweet. Wasnt even to bad of a hunt either. Stoked to have a shiny Blaziken with that awesome nature too. I'm also doing a Badge Quest on this game as well (3rd Gen Ruby) and determined to actual complete it too, but its also the only video game I currently own. If you dont know what that is its where you play through the game but before every gym badge you get a shiny, and some players do a super badge quest where you get a shiny before every rival battle/evil team boss leader battle/between each elite four member and champion. But im just a normal BQ including a shiny before the champion. I got Torchic to start of the game before the first badge, beat Roxxanne and now hunting in Granite Cave B2 for anything their. Aron, Abra, Zubat, Mawile, and Makuhita all spawn on that floor. I'd be stoked to get any of them but I'm pulling for Aron or Zubat. Crobat and Aggron look awesome. I'm scared to get Abra though cause it only knows teleport at this point and I only get one chance to throw a great ball to snag it. And for some reason i've been coming across quite a few of them even though their only 10% encounter rate here. But whatever. At 50 random encounters and adding quickly to try to get two shinies in a day, which would be a new feat for me. I can now add the golden dark red Torchic to my list. :D

Joshfarias16 likes this

On 7/14/2017 at 1:54 PM, Masoonite said:

Shiny hunters are crazy. Especially the people like you who do the soft resets (especially the ones at the start of the game). Let us know if/when you get your Torchic! I've never hunted, but I've been lucky enough to find a couple in the wild. My first ever was in Emerald version I found a shiny Wurmple at the start of the game.There MUST be some method that no one has made popular yet, because I got 2 other shinies by the same "accidental method". 

Method: All the games have some type of forest at the beggining of the game (Petalburg Woods for Emerald/Viridian Forest in Firered). What I did was I went through the forest into the other route/town. Then, I remembered there was a certain Pokemon in those woods that I didn't catch (Shroomish/Pikachu). So I went back in and all 3 times I found a shiny Pokemon (Wurmple/Weedle/Pidove). 

Now, Idk if its a real method or coinceidnce, but the chances of a coincidence for 3 games straight doing the same thing are about 1/24,387. So I have suspicions. 

Anyways, heres my whole list that I was lucky enough to find:

Gen 1: Weedle, Seaking (caught in the safari zone while searching for a Seaking because it was one of the last 5 Pokemon I needed for my dex.... I was sweating profusely because they always ran on me haha)

Gen 2: None unless you count Gyarados lol

Gen 3: Wurmple and Lotad 

Gen 4: None, prob why it's my least fav gen lol

Gen 5: Pidove and Vullaby 

Gen 6: I actually did use the Masuda method for this game and hatched 2 Pokemon: Froakie and Larvitar. Took over 700 eggs for Forakie and over 1,200 for Larvitar. Never doing that again haha

Gen7: I haven't finished the game to be fair lol

Shiny Vullaby?! You trained it and threw it in your party right? :o 

16 hours ago, Joshfarias16 said:

Shiny Vullaby?! You trained it and threw it in your party right? :o 

Of course! Always gotta train and keep your shinies haha.

@drue, I could google this but feel I'd like to hear it from you. For soft-reseting on starters, when you eventually get a Shiny are all 3 shiny?

Joshfarias16 likes this

On 7/16/2017 at 7:13 PM, Masoonite said:

Of course! Always gotta train and keep your shinies haha.

@drue, I could google this but feel I'd like to hear it from you. For soft-reseting on starters, when you eventually get a Shiny are all 3 shiny?

@Masoonite
Nah, its once you choose a starter it generates the code unless you get super extremely lucky in HG/SS soft resetting starters you may be able to get two shinies to choose from. Ive never seen that personally and would be ridiculous to come across, but HG/SS is the only game you can see if the Pokemon is shiny before you actually choose it.

Update(Tuesday the 18th): After a few days of hunting in Granite Cave Shiny Mawile appeared and I caught it of course, lol. That makes the second shiny for my Ruby badge quest acquired. Now to beat Brawley and start the next hunt. There isnt much I really would want until Fiery Path and Route  114. So I think ima beat Wattson and head that way to start hunting in Route 114 first, then Fiery Path right after and then head to the 4th gym battle. Route 114 contains Swablu, Seedot, Nuzleaf, Zangoose, and Surskit (1%). Im hoping for Zangoose or Swablu mostly. But i will be happy with Seedot/Nuzleaf as well and I would be ecstatic if someway a shiny Surskit slides across the screen against extremely low odds. Wish me luck!

Joshfarias16 and Masoonite like this