average ct player

Site Suggestion Dump

need help with cutting images... I use gimp, never had a problem before but now my posts save with white backgrounds instead of the previous grid background, like this https://imgur.com/a/uGedS94

I also wanna add the set Ballmastrz 9009, mainly because of the girl DD (Duleena Duneeda) in it. I cant find any full images here she is in a clip 

I'm back with another suggestion. This time, I'm suggesting an update to the FAQs page!

Ok, first of all, this needs a table of contents. For such a short page, there is a lot of small text along with a whopping 23 sections. Not everyone knows how to CTRL+F to find what they're looking for, so a ToC would come in handy here. It also wouldn't hurt to add a short, witty introduction.

While we're on the subject, how about merging a few of those sections? For example, I don't see why there should be separate sections (all very short) for the bank, the auto-surfer, and the storage locker when they can all be grouped under a "Premium Features" section for easier navigation. Not every user is going to donate, but the ones who do and receive premium will undoubtedly want to know what the premium features are.

Moving on, the actual content of the FAQs could be improved significantly. For example, there is no mention of the Time Machine. If I saw a button that read "Time Machine" on a website or anywhere for that matter, I would surely be questioning what that feature does. Another example would be the question about having to download QuickTime. As far as I know, this is outdated information and any user with a modern browser wouldn't encounter this. Even more pointless than that would be the question simply titled, "What is the inbox?" Do we really need to add fluff like this explaining every little aspect of a site to a page that's supposed to be helpful? I don't think so.

Another thing I've noticed--no pictures are on this page! C'mon, on a website dedicated to loving cartoons, I'd expect to find graphics galore on any page I click on. Even the little Dilbert graphic I made to draw attention to the FAQs only shows up in one place.

For a final touch, this page could use a proper conclusion. I'd put something along the lines of, "Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Join the CollecTowne Forums and receive all the answers you'll ever need!" Instead, the page just decides to end abruptly.

There's another page on this site I'd like to revamp...the mall.

You know what I see when I go on the mall homepage? Text. I see dark gray text on a white background. There's no introduction, no color, and no images aside from the banner. I see a long list of hyperlinks that look all-too-dull to click on. I see nothing else.

You know what I'd like to see when I go to a cartoon mall? Pictures! Prices! Ctoons!!! Show me what's for sale, not who's selling it. I don't care about what a shop's sales statistics are or what arbitrary name the user has given their shop. I came to this page to buy cToons and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of bubblegum.

My idea: show me suggestions on this page based on my collection and my previous suggestions. Give me a list of toons for sale and allow me to sort them the way I choose to. DON'T give me a list of made-up shop names with meaningless-to-me statistics written in dark gray text on a white background. That's boring!!! Show me the cToons! If this idea sounds familiar, then you've probably used eBay at some point.

Honestly, even when I frequented this site back in the day, I would rarely look past the first page of shops. It just didn't feel like it was worth my time. For all I know, there were and still are plenty of hidden gems lurking on pages 2 or beyond that I'd have readily bought, but just didn't think to. This suggestion would put the small shops more in the spotlight and take away the unfair advantages that the page 1 shops, especially the top 5, have with the casual shopper.

It really blows my mind that this is the exact same page I looked at in 2009 when Toon first cut the ribbon on the mall. It's been nearly 9 years and nothing has changed but the banner image. Come to think of it, a lot of pages still look very, very similar to how they did back then. Hmm...

One last idea, and this could be either a premium-only feature or a feature for everyone, but I'd like to see a "best deal" icon for specific toons that are the lowest-priced among all the shops.

On 5/10/2018 at 12:50 AM, RollingStoned said:

I'm back with another suggestion. This time, I'm suggesting an update to the FAQs page!

Ok, first of all, this needs a table of contents. For such a short page, there is a lot of small text along with a whopping 23 sections. Not everyone knows how to CTRL+F to find what they're looking for, so a ToC would come in handy here. It also wouldn't hurt to add a short, witty introduction.

While we're on the subject, how about merging a few of those sections? For example, I don't see why there should be separate sections (all very short) for the bank, the auto-surfer, and the storage locker when they can all be grouped under a "Premium Features" section for easier navigation. Not every user is going to donate, but the ones who do and receive premium will undoubtedly want to know what the premium features are.

Moving on, the actual content of the FAQs could be improved significantly. For example, there is no mention of the Time Machine. If I saw a button that read "Time Machine" on a website or anywhere for that matter, I would surely be questioning what that feature does. Another example would be the question about having to download QuickTime. As far as I know, this is outdated information and any user with a modern browser wouldn't encounter this. Even more pointless than that would be the question simply titled, "What is the inbox?" Do we really need to add fluff like this explaining every little aspect of a site to a page that's supposed to be helpful? I don't think so.

Another thing I've noticed--no pictures are on this page! C'mon, on a website dedicated to loving cartoons, I'd expect to find graphics galore on any page I click on. Even the little Dilbert graphic I made to draw attention to the FAQs only shows up in one place.

For a final touch, this page could use a proper conclusion. I'd put something along the lines of, "Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Join the CollecTowne Forums and receive all the answers you'll ever need!" Instead, the page just decides to end abruptly.

On 5/19/2018 at 12:26 AM, RollingStoned said:

There's another page on this site I'd like to revamp...the mall.

You know what I see when I go on the mall homepage? Text. I see dark gray text on a white background. There's no introduction, no color, and no images aside from the banner. I see a long list of hyperlinks that look all-too-dull to click on. I see nothing else.

You know what I'd like to see when I go to a cartoon mall? Pictures! Prices! Ctoons!!! Show me what's for sale, not who's selling it. I don't care about what a shop's sales statistics are or what arbitrary name the user has given their shop. I came to this page to buy cToons and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of bubblegum.

My idea: show me suggestions on this page based on my collection and my previous suggestions. Give me a list of toons for sale and allow me to sort them the way I choose to. DON'T give me a list of made-up shop names with meaningless-to-me statistics written in dark gray text on a white background. That's boring!!! Show me the cToons! If this idea sounds familiar, then you've probably used eBay at some point.

Honestly, even when I frequented this site back in the day, I would rarely look past the first page of shops. It just didn't feel like it was worth my time. For all I know, there were and still are plenty of hidden gems lurking on pages 2 or beyond that I'd have readily bought, but just didn't think to. This suggestion would put the small shops more in the spotlight and take away the unfair advantages that the page 1 shops, especially the top 5, have with the casual shopper.

It really blows my mind that this is the exact same page I looked at in 2009 when Toon first cut the ribbon on the mall. It's been nearly 9 years and nothing has changed but the banner image. Come to think of it, a lot of pages still look very, very similar to how they did back then. Hmm...

One last idea, and this could be either a premium-only feature or a feature for everyone, but I'd like to see a "best deal" icon for specific toons that are the lowest-priced among all the shops.

awesome ideas actually. i really love the lottery idea too. once i'm back from vacation, i'll send them toon's way. 

Thanks, Xavi. Even though I'll never be as active as I once was, I still want CT to grow and change.

Oh, you thought that was all I was going to say, did you? Ha! No, I have another suggestion, and this one is for one of the most frequented pages...the Trade Board!

Another page that hasn't changed really, like, ever, the Trade Board could use some improvement. For starters, users are highly biased at looking at offers on the front page before anything else. Well, obviously, that's the first page a user is going to see, but it's always sorted by what's been posted most recently. There is no sort function, and one is desperately needed. Without a sort function, sellers are incentivized to re-post their toons for sale after they hit the second page (or, in some cases, the bottom of the first page). Yes, posts do stay up for a week, but who's really going to look at everything? There is an image view function, which is a good start, but it doesn't exactly fix the problem. Not to mention the image view is hidden away in that dark gray text on a white background that seems to be what's perhaps least fitting for a site about cartoons and anime.

But how would a sort function work?

I don't have a definite answer for this because multiple ctoons can be in a single post. Multiple ctoons can have multiple rarities, multiple sets, multiple subsets, multiple street values, multiple copies-in-game, multiple editions of the same ctoon, multiple release dates, etc.

One way to go about this, without taking too much away from premium benefits, would be to add more search functions with a limited sort function. We could add search by set, subset, rarity, etc. to the existing search function just like we already have in user collections and add sort functions for most popular, most recently added (newest),  and least recently added (oldest). The pros here would be that users could find ctoons from specific sets or rarities easier than they can now, and older trade board posts would be seen by more users. The cons: well, if most users don't use the search by least recently added, those old posts will still go unseen by the masses.

A different way to do this would be the ebay way. Make it so that you can only post one ctoon at a time, but you can have multiple quantities available of that same toon. Does that sound like user shops to you? Yes, but in this method, a buyer would only be able to buy the entire lot rather than individually. Sellers would still be able to accept or decline offers as always rather than having a fixed price and automated sales like in a user shop. We could implement any and every sort function if we do it like this.

While we're on the subject, ditch the auction page. That isn't to say we should do away with auctions, but the auction page has been and likely always will be dead. If we choose to do things the ebay way, we could combine auctions and the trade board into one. On Cartoon Orbit, the site that inspired CT and brought many of the site's early users who were ex-Orbiters along with it, things were different. There was no trade board, but the auction page was booming. I'm not suggesting we do things that way, but rather a more modern way: a combination of the auctions and trade board.

Before I forget, let's do away with "reserved" listings altogether by making it to where users can offer points or ask for points in offline trades in exchange for ctoons. This doesn't seem like it would be all that hard to implement, so I'm scratching my head as to why this isn't already a thing.

28 minutes ago, RollingStoned said:

Thanks, Xavi. Even though I'll never be as active as I once was, I still want CT to grow and change.

Oh, you thought that was all I was going to say, did you? Ha! No, I have another suggestion, and this one is for one of the most frequented pages...the Trade Board!

Another page that hasn't changed really, like, ever, the Trade Board could use some improvement. For starters, users are highly biased at looking at offers on the front page before anything else. Well, obviously, that's the first page a user is going to see, but it's always sorted by what's been posted most recently. There is no sort function, and one is desperately needed. Without a sort function, sellers are incentivized to re-post their toons for sale after they hit the second page (or, in some cases, the bottom of the first page). Yes, posts do stay up for a week, but who's really going to look at everything? There is an image view function, which is a good start, but it doesn't exactly fix the problem. Not to mention the image view is hidden away in that dark gray text on a white background that seems to be what's perhaps least fitting for a site about cartoons and anime.

But how would a sort function work?

I don't have a definite answer for this because multiple ctoons can be in a single post. Multiple ctoons can have multiple rarities, multiple sets, multiple subsets, multiple street values, multiple copies-in-game, multiple editions of the same ctoon, multiple release dates, etc.

One way to go about this, without taking too much away from premium benefits, would be to add more search functions with a limited sort function. We could add search by set, subset, rarity, etc. to the existing search function just like we already have in user collections and add sort functions for most popular, most recently added (newest),  and least recently added (oldest). The pros here would be that users could find ctoons from specific sets or rarities easier than they can now, and older trade board posts would be seen by more users. The cons: well, if most users don't use the search by least recently added, those old posts will still go unseen by the masses.

A different way to do this would be the ebay way. Make it so that you can only post one ctoon at a time, but you can have multiple quantities available of that same toon. Does that sound like user shops to you? Yes, but in this method, a buyer would only be able to buy the entire lot rather than individually. Sellers would still be able to accept or decline offers as always rather than having a fixed price and automated sales like in a user shop. We could implement any and every sort function if we do it like this.

While we're on the subject, ditch the auction page. That isn't to say we should do away with auctions, but the auction page has been and likely always will be dead. If we choose to do things the ebay way, we could combine auctions and the trade board into one. On Cartoon Orbit, the site that inspired CT and brought many of the site's early users who were ex-Orbiters along with it, things were different. There was no trade board, but the auction page was booming. I'm not suggesting we do things that way, but rather a more modern way: a combination of the auctions and trade board.

Before I forget, let's do away with "reserved" listings altogether by making it to where users can offer points or ask for points in offline trades in exchange for ctoons. This doesn't seem like it would be all that hard to implement, so I'm scratching my head as to why this isn't already a thing.

Simple answer to why not. No dev lol. 

Lots of stuff I'll pass on to toon though. Maybe he can get some of this going. 

I can do the lotto thing myself, but I'll be away from my pc for a week, but I'll run it by the other mods next week and maybe we can get the lotto points up and also the price per ticket.

The faq is also something we can fix, though not with pictures, unless toon knows how.

Everything else we need a dev or need toon to do it, though I kinda want new arcade games first.

On 5/22/2018 at 6:30 AM, Xavianangel said:

Simple answer to why not. No dev lol. 

Lots of stuff I'll pass on to toon though. Maybe he can get some of this going. 

I can do the lotto thing myself, but I'll be away from my pc for a week, but I'll run it by the other mods next week and maybe we can get the lotto points up and also the price per ticket.

The faq is also something we can fix, though not with pictures, unless toon knows how.

Everything else we need a dev or need toon to do it, though I kinda want new arcade games first.

The FAQ shouldnt be too much to add pictures and change around would be some simple HTML inner shell and tweaks to the current page... a nice way to do it I think would be separate images (like the arcade page) which would then link to separate FAQ section in a nicely designed image with a back to FAQ Main button on the bottom not only would it be way more visually appealing it would be in more smaller chunks than a wall of text

Or simply do away with a FAQ page and bring it into the Forum we could then have a main post with those images which would link to separate topics/posts around each subject (it would be massively easier for us to update on the fly like literally seconds) and allow it to be kept up to date with community input

Okay, here's a really, excruciatingly simple idea. On the Collectowne Mall, add a column. Add one column for last date updated. Boom. You've just eliminated those obnoxious (and, admittedly, inaccurate) update times from shop titles. I'll even admit, yeah, I kind of started the thing when shops were added and I ran a merged account with 3 other users, but to be fair, someone was bound to start it sooner or later. It needs to end, though. It needs to end because, really, the whole shop design is dated, but we can add this column with very little ease. I'd even make the bold claim that no one would resist the idea of a new column. How about it?

9 hours ago, RollingStoned said:

Okay, here's a really, excruciatingly simple idea. On the Collectowne Mall, add a column. Add one column for last date updated. Boom. You've just eliminated those obnoxious (and, admittedly, inaccurate) update times from shop titles. I'll even admit, yeah, I kind of started the thing when shops were added and I ran a merged account with 3 other users, but to be fair, someone was bound to start it sooner or later. It needs to end, though. It needs to end because, really, the whole shop design is dated, but we can add this column with very little ease. I'd even make the bold claim that no one would resist the idea of a new column. How about it?

I like it. I love all your ideas. You should really PM Toon.

On 6/26/2018 at 1:48 PM, Xavianangel said:

I like it. I love all your ideas. You should really PM Toon.

I sent him a PM linking to this topic.

RollingStoned back with another suggestion or two.

Wouldn't it be nice to have an option to display your whole collection in a list format? I don't know about you all, but when I go to the My Collection page, the first thing I do is narrow it down by either category or rarity. Otherwise, the My Collection page for me has a whopping 127 pages with 15 unique ctoons per page. Without the "Group cToons" option, my collection expands to ---nobody has time for that. A list, on the other hand, could display 30, 50, or even 100 unique ctoons on the same page, and it could have different columns for the category, subcategory, date released, and other useful information for analyzing your own collection. It could even have options to sort the collection by column in ascending or descending order. Right now users can only see a ctoon's name, thumbnail, and quantity owned.

While we're at it, we could extend this condensed list format to pages like My Ended Auctions and the Storage Locker. It would only be an option of course, so users who prefer the current format could still view those pages that way.

On 7/2/2018 at 3:32 AM, RollingStoned said:

RollingStoned back with another suggestion or two.

Wouldn't it be nice to have an option to display your whole collection in a list format? I don't know about you all, but when I go to the My Collection page, the first thing I do is narrow it down by either category or rarity. Otherwise, the My Collection page for me has a whopping 127 pages with 15 unique ctoons per page. Without the "Group cToons" option, my collection expands to ---nobody has time for that. A list, on the other hand, could display 30, 50, or even 100 unique ctoons on the same page, and it could have different columns for the category, subcategory, date released, and other useful information for analyzing your own collection. It could even have options to sort the collection by column in ascending or descending order. Right now users can only see a ctoon's name, thumbnail, and quantity owned.

While we're at it, we could extend this condensed list format to pages like My Ended Auctions and the Storage Locker. It would only be an option of course, so users who prefer the current format could still view those pages that way.

Would be great. PM toon xD I really have no power in this situation. Only toon can make any of the changes. You've got amazing ideas but I cant implement any. 

9 hours ago, Xavianangel said:

Would be great. PM toon xD I really have no power in this situation. Only toon can make any of the changes. You've got amazing ideas but I cant implement any. 

I did PM him! You should PM him too asking him for a Root Admin promotion :D

1 hour ago, RollingStoned said:

I did PM him! You should PM him too asking him for a Root Admin promotion :D

Hahahahahaha

On 7/6/2018 at 2:00 AM, Xavianangel said:

Hahahahahaha

Hey, it's possible.

One small suggestion I'd like to make deals with the Visit cWorlds page. Instead of having top cWorlds for the month, how about top cWorlds for the week? I mean, quite a few of the ones voted first on the 1st of the month end up being in the top 10. I'm not sure what the prize is anymore, or even if there still exists a prize, for being number one, but that prize should be increased to encourage users to vote differently. I think when I won it (2010?) it was something like 2,000 points. That isn't exactly a lot of money these days.

8 hours ago, RollingStoned said:

Hey, it's possible.

One small suggestion I'd like to make deals with the Visit cWorlds page. Instead of having top cWorlds for the month, how about top cWorlds for the week? I mean, quite a few of the ones voted first on the 1st of the month end up being in the top 10. I'm not sure what the prize is anymore, or even if there still exists a prize, for being number one, but that prize should be increased to encourage users to vote differently. I think when I won it (2010?) it was something like 2,000 points. That isn't exactly a lot of money these days.

it's possible if i've got a few thousand lying around to do so.

yeah the prize i think is still like 2 grand. not exactly sure how to change that.

1 hour ago, Xavianangel said:

it's possible if i've got a few thousand lying around to do so.

yeah the prize i think is still like 2 grand. not exactly sure how to change that.

It would likely be in the pages coding... only Toon could edit it if he knows how to :) a increase in ticket cost what will lead to a larger jackpot