Pilaf

Listen to and Rate the Song Above You

This is a "game" that's similar to "what are you currently listening to," but I find to be much better, since it gets people to listen to things they normally wouldn't, as well as sparking discussion or introducing people to new music.

The rules are fairly simple:

The person above you will link to a song (usually via youtube). You'll listen to the song all the way through. Then, you'll give the song a rating from 1-10, and (this is very important) comment on why you gave it the score you did, what you liked/disliked about it etc. There's no real limit to what you can/can't say. If the song was boring, you can just say "it was boring", but you could also go in-depth and talk about what you thought made it boring, which parts made up for it, etc; I'm not one to judge how well thought out your comments are, just... try to make them.

After that, you post a link to another song and the cycle continues.

Well, I'll start:

I liked that one. I've only really heard one or two songs by modest mouse. It repeats the same thing, but the lyrics are really good and it's so mellow so it doesn't matter to me. :P

I like that sort of "indie" style. It suits me.

Mkay here's one:

EDIT: I didn't rate your Pilaf. 7.

Not my absolute favorite Sufjan song, but certainly up there. It *is* incredibly depressing, which I like. There are only a few songs that actually do a good job of evoking a feeling of sadness, and this is one of them.

:( It's truly beautiful. EDIT: Rated - 7.5 Mine:

The instrumentals, lyricism, and voicing of the song gave it a very deep feel, which was good. The only thing that bugged me a little was the speed he was singing. I'm a little more used to songs with a faster pacing to it, but it worked out here with the meaning behind it.

75%

Anyway, this song is great. It actually doesn't even have any lyrics. Oh, and I didn't look up instrumentals, this is just from a game (which 90% of the time doesn't use lyrics in their songs).

CLICK ME

These are lyrics a person on Youtube wrote to go with the song, and out of the other 2-3 I've read, this is the best one that matches the tone. It goes with the beat, so it won't be hard to know what word goes for what part.

"Day to night

Dark to light

Fall the sands of time

Let the years

Like the gears

Of a clock unwind

Walk through time

In your mind

Back to better days

Memories like a dream wash your tears away

Like a star in the sky

Darkness can't reach you

Light the night

Joy is light

'til the new dawn

Cast away your old face

Full of gloom and spite

With this mask, I will ask to borrow your LIGHT"

- Anaalvocht from YT

Totally off-topic so shame on me, but dude, what have you been up to?

First, about the song:

Honestly, I didn't like it all too much. Having never played a zelda game in my life (other than a few minutes here and there), it didn't do anything to evoke imagery or emotions linked to the game (as game music tends to do), and from a purely musical standpoint it was a repetitive, uninteresting piano piece. I'm sure it has merit if you're a Zelda fan, but as I can't say I am, it just felt... mediocre.

Shoegaze is most likely a genre you've never heard of, and it tends to be very hit-or-miss with a lot of people. You turn the guitars way up, and mix everything else in very softly, but it's not actually a loud genre. As you'll hear from the song, everything is very wavy, and flows in and out (with the lyrics often hard to understand), and there are layers upon layers of sound, so it ends up being somewhat of a soundscape. This song is a more extreme example of such, though-- there are others that aren't quite as floaty and wavy, but that tends to be my favorite type.

@Raven: Well, remember Naruto-Arena? It was that site Megamanx/Tails started linking to around when TCG and CZC died, so I kind of... migrated there. Eventually they launched a spinoff site (Soul-Arena), I hung out on their forums enough, and now I'm moderating it.

I never got around to joining Collectoons because I was never one for Ctoons, and this doesn't have anything similar to Gtoons, plus the offtopic forums are fairly inactive.

In terms of my real life, well... nothing particularly interesting has happened in the last 4 or so years. I'm going to my local community college and spend all day on the internet x.x.

I play a lot of TCGS, though! You know, if you play MTG or YGO or the DBZ/Naruto TCG or Pokemon TCG or whatever... I know how to play all of those.

I'd like to bump this, as I'm still of the opinion that it's a MUCH better thread than "what are you listening to?".

Yeah we need to get this topic back on track.

I'd like to bump this, as I'm still of the opinion that it's a MUCH better thread than "what are you listening to?".

My threads better :P

The problem with your thread is nobody cares about the other posts except on rare occasions. Here, you always have to give input, which means listening, which means finding new music. I've found quite a few new bands from threads like these on other forums, but I've never seen a use for "What are you listening to?" other than somewhere to post when you're bored.

Very true but obviously people do care if there posting in my thread lol.

I can agree with Pilaf. So instead of arguing why not just get back on track and start posting song links and rate them.

Im not arguing lol. :zall_coho:

To me it looked like you and Rice Boy where in a little tiff.

To me it looked like you and Rice Boy where in a little tiff.

Noo, im totally cool and calm.

Ah okay. That's cool. I don't want any fights breaking out.

All I did was state why I felt that my thread was overall more useful. There was no argument, really, at least not in any sort of negative way.

Anyway, I'll repost the last song I posted, since it never got rated.

The song was not bad. It had a good beat to it. Overall I give it a 90.

Herriman%20Egg_zps5ohqccfs.png

All I did was state why I felt that my thread was overall more useful. There was no argument, really, at least not in any sort of negative way.

Anyway, I'll repost the last song I posted, since it never got rated.

Oh yeah i know dude, its all good :thumbu:

The song is alright, very psycadelic xD im more into Metal.

Well i Would Have To Rate It A 3 I Dont Really Like Songs Without Someone Singing Through It( Also Off Topic i Play Naruto-Arena And Soul-Arena. My User Is Kylerocks1994 For Both So Add Me xD) Back On Topic : Heres My Song -

OOC. Same here Marvel. I love the Metal Gerne.

@Forgive: ehhh...

3/10.

The beat was okay, but didn't change at all, the lyrical content was repetitive and not particularly interesting, and there wasn't any interesting wordplay to at least make it worth my time.

Nobody Move, Nobody Get Hurt